Just got back from DC

| | Comments (0)

We spent last weekend in Denver (details and pictures coming soon) - we left on Saturday morning and returned home on Monday night. Wednesday morning I left for a conference in DC, and had an absolute blast, despite being sick (mouth and throat are bothering me for some reason).

We were invited to attend NCR's Executive Conference on Self-Service Kiosks. NCR pulled out all the stops for this event and put us up in the swanky, five-star Mandarin Oriental Hotel on the 8th floor (the Madarin Club level) with water views. From my $500/night room, I had a perfect view of the Potomac and the Jefferson Memorial. It was absolutely amazing - and NCR picked-up the tab for the entire event.

Here are a few pictures of the room, taken with my cellphone... it's hard to appreciate how cool the room was with these horrible pictures, but it'll give you some idea of what it was like.






We were in town Wednesday through Friday; on Wednesday night, we attended the Washington Nationals / Detroit Tigers game at RFK - we scored some great 3rd base seats for $20 each (face value was $45 each). The game wasn't too good - the Nationals really stink, but it was fun nonetheless. Here's a picture from our seats:


On Thursday night, we went to the Captiol City Brewery and had dinner there. We also saw the new Fantastic Four movie, and then went back to the hotel. The gym at the hotel was incredible as well - the treadmills were "Technogym" models, with 20" LCDs built into them. I'd never heard of that brand, but they were great treadmills. I went online to look-up info about them, and couldn't find much -- but I did find one distrubtor who was selling a used model for $9500. The Mandarin's gym had 10 of these.

Speaking of treadmills, I've been doing well with my running routine - up to 2.5 miles in 25 minutes. My goal is to do 3 miles in 25 minutes, and then after a while bump up to a 10k. I've been working on this for about 6-7 weeks, running at least 5 times per week. I really don't like running, but once I "get going" it's not bad. When I first started, doing 2 minutes seemed like death - I was out of breath, panting, gasping, and in complete agony.

After a while, I learned the proper breathing pattern, and now after 15 minutes or so of running, I'm breathing comfortably, and my legs are the only things that "complain" about the running. Getting to 20 minutes is a challenge, and by 25, I'm ready to quit. :-) Hopefully that'll get a little better as I continue to work on it.

Well, that's about it for now. I'm going to clean the house.

Leave a comment