Day 2: Hershey to Fort Wayne, IN

| | Comments (0)

Well today was a good day. I put on about 560 miles and burned exactly 10.8 gallons of fuel, for a total cost of $31. The car now has about 1000 miles on it, which means I can start using the cruise control (I've been varrying my speed as much as possible to aid the break-in process).

I've spent nearly all of those 1000 miles laughing to myself - the car has a "multifunction display center" that shows all sorts of info, including average and "actual" miles per gallon, and I consistently show 50-70mpg while crusing on level highway... but more on that in a bit.

So I spent last night at a "Scottish Inn" just outside of Hershey, and it wasn't anything spectacular. $97/night just doesn't get you much these days, I guess. There wasn't a gym or excercise equipment, the rooms were noisy, and the place could've used a little "touch up" work. I was really disappointed in the place; but now that I think about it, "neat," "tidy," and "hospitable," aren't words that I would freely associate with the Scotts... (mental note: don't stay at any more Scottish-themed hotels)

Anywho, after fleeing - or rather, "checking out" - of the hotel this morning, I hit the road fully intent on trucking straight through to Fort Wayne. But, on my way out of town I stumbled across an interesting building - the big sign out front read, "American Antique Car Museum" - I just had to take a look.

The place didn't open until 9am, so I decided to grab a bite to eat and to see the sights. My GPS told me that the nearest diner was located at the "Hotel Hershey," so I drove over to check it out. The place was quite fancy, and nothing looked too good on the menu, so I took a quick picture and moved on.


I eventually wound-up eating at a small diner just outside of Hershey. I wasn't anything fantastic, so I didn't take any pictures. I then drove around Hershey a bit, and snapped a few photos:



Again, sorry for the crummy photos - I really miss my Photoshop... it does a much better job of resizing photos than this crummy free program does.

The clock finally showed 9:00am, so I zipped back out to the museum, and waited for the doors to open.


Once inside, I was pleased to find a pretty impressive collection - there was everything from Packards to Duesenbergs to AMX's and race cars. All of the cars were in fantastic condition, and the museum was extremely easy to navigate. My only complaint was the lighting - it was rather dark inside, which made picture-taking difficult.

here are a few quick photos:





I got trapped by the curator of the "commercial busses" section of the museum, and after talking to him for about 2 hours, I hit the highways. The Pennsylvania mountains were beautiful - there was a slight haze in the sky, traffic was light, and the roads were fantastic. No potholes, or blemmishes - just perfect pavement. The Jetta cruised along, and the miles passed quickly.


As mentioned earlier, I did eventually stop for fuel... once... but more often than not, the Jetta simply watched from afar as other cars filled-up with gasoline. :-)


A quick "mileage" shot:


I also stopped by to meet some folks that have a new line of motor oils and fuel additives - they're all plant-based, rather than petroleum-based, and are getting rave reviews from oil experts from around the world. I picked-up a few products from them, and spent another 2-3 hours chatting with them about oil, cars, and the automotive world. They were extremely friendly and informative, and I got to take an exclusive, behind-the-scenes look into their operation. I might do a story on it at some point...

I crossed the Indiana/Ohio border at around 8pm, and stumbled across a town called "Angola," which had an awesome "town square." The photo is dark, but hopefully you can see some of the shops and buildings around the "square" - it was really a neat place.


I finally arrived in Fort Wayne, and I'm staying at a Hyatt Place. What an awesome hotel - waaaaaaay better than the one from last night. It's $149/night, but worth every penny. 46" LCD, a comfy bed, and clean everything - I'll take it!



And so, with that, I'm off to bed. I plan to get up at around 6:30 tomorrow morning, go for a run (I need to - I've been eating like a pig this entire trip), and then I'll head over to Auburn, Indiana to visit the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum (another car museum).

As luck would have it, this weekend is the annual convention for Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg owners... the place should be a zoo... but it'll be fun.

I'm staying in St. Louis tomorrow night, and hope to visit my old pal, Forrest. Stay tuned!

Leave a comment