Another camping trip... but with a twist.


Or should I say crank?

photo 01.JPG

Yep, that's right - I went bicycle camping last weekend.

When I started to purchase camping gear, it was always my intention to go either backpack or bicycle camping, which is why I spent extra on super lightweight, super efficient gear. I waited to bike camp until I had a fairly strong comfort level with my general camping skills, but the opportunity to go arose, and I decided to go for it.

To facilitate the bike camping, I bought a used bike trailer from a coworker. I modified it by removing the child seating components and installing a thin "floor" that I cut from 1/4" birch and secured to the trailer frame. This would provide a level and sturdy surface for the gear to sit on while in transit.

I loaded-up my stuff, attached the trailer, and off I went. My gear weighs a total of 17-pounds, which is great for: tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, lighting, cooking gear (including MSR stove, french press, and cookware), hammock and straps, and cleaning/first aid stuff. With 3-days worth of clothing, I came in at just over 20-lbs. Not bad! Too bad the trailer weighs 24-pounds empty... ;-)

Once on the trail, it should've been an easy 30-miles from my door to the New Glarus Woods State Campground. I say should've because we somehow missed our exit from the Badger State Trail and ended-up well south of Monticello. We circled back and decided to take a "short cut" that involved two serious hills.

I didn't really feel the weight of the trailer on my bike until those monster hills, but once the grade increased my legs definitely felt that extra 45-ish pounds of drag.

We arrived to our campsite at around 7:00pm, just in-time for the rains to start. We quickly set-up our tents and shuffled the gear into them so things would stay dry.

photo 02.JPG

Just as we finished unloading things, the clouds parted, and the weather looked as though it would remain nice. We debated whether we should ride into town for groceries or just be lazy and grab something at a restaurant. We decided to hit the local store, which was about 3 miles from the site.

A few things to note about the campground: it's on a massive hill, which means a serious climb/hike when returning to the site. Because it's on a hill, the individual camp plots are quite sloped; we couldn't find level space to set-up our tents, so that meant sleeping would be a bit uncomfy, as you usually slide down the slope as you sleep. The campground is also located about 50 yards from state highway 69, which is a very busy (and loud) road. And finally, there aren't any showers or modern toilets... fun. Not sure I'd recommend this site to those who may want to go camping.

We rode into town and snuck into the grocery store just as it was closing (the store closed at 8pm and we walked-in at 7:58). The staff were super friendly and helpful and didn't seem to mind that we were going to keep them there for a bit beyond normal closing time.

Beer, brats, bacon, and buns - we had the "B" food group covered. We also grabbed some other items (eggs, potatoes, snacks) and a 20-lb bag of ice. All of those items went into the trailer, and back to the site we went.

We got a nice campfire going in no-time, despite the site's best efforts to thwart us... their firewood was so damp that it actually steamed before it would burn. Chris did a great job of foraging for downed wood near our site; with some careful arrangement into a tee-pee, the tinder burned quickly and quite hot. We could then steam the wood on the cooking grate until it was dry enough to burn. We had a nice fire in no-time.

Dinner that night consisted of a few chicken brats with some hash browns. I don't think anything has ever tasted better... according to my Garmin, I burned around 1700 calories riding to New Glarus with the trailer in tow...

photo 03.JPG

We stayed-up fairly late, enjoying the fire and relaxing. I think I called it a night around 1:30am and actually slept pretty well until around 6:30am - that's when traffic on 69 really picked-up and the area got quite loud.

I got the fire re-started and made some breakfast. Some scrambled eggs, some bacon, and some hash browns, all cooked-up over the open flame.

photo 5.JPG

To the side, I fired-up my MSR Whisperlite stove so that I could boil water for coffee. That little stove is a monster; it had 1L of water boiling in under 2 minutes. I love that the stove will work with any source of liquid fuel; I typically use "white fuel" (camping fuel), but it'll burn kerosene, gasoline, or diesel as well. And the entire thing weighs about 13 ounces.

photo 05.JPG

With our bellies stuffed, we made our way over to the New Glarus Brewery, where we took a quick self-guided tour, and then had a few drinks out in their beer garden. It was a good way to pass some time before heading back to the camp site.

We made it back to the site just before more rains came. We passed the time by playing some dice games and just relaxing. Chris took a nap in his tent; I tried, but couldn't really sleep. So, I did some tidying-up in the tent, read the campground newsletter, and listened to music for a bit.

photo 1.JPG

That Big Agnes tent is awesome. It's roomy, yet packs down to just under 4-lbs, and is completely water proof. Nary a drip detected anywhere under the rainfly. I love it.

After a few hours, the skies cleared, and we decided to head into town for some pizza and to catch a band that was playing a local festival. The pizza was mediocre; the band was awesome.

When we arrived back to the site at around 1am, we discovered that some unwanted visitors had helped themselves to our stash of wafer cookies... we had suspended them off the ground, and the cookies were still in the factory-sealed packaging, so how (we're assuming it was racoons) got into them is beyond us. It was sad, because I hadn't had a Rippin' Good wafer cookie in probably 20+ years and was looking forward to it. Alas, these weren't meant to be enjoyed. Everything else was untouched. Apparently racoons like chocolate wafer cookies.

photo 4.JPG

Sunday morning came; we got up fairly early, packed the gear, cleaned-up the site, and grabbed a quick bite for breakfast. There was a great little restaurant called "Krisit's" that let us split a "classic" breakfast of 2-eggs, 3 bacon, toast, and some potato wedges. Splitting it was the perfect amount of food for a pre-30 mile ride.

With an egg and 1.5 slices of bacon in me, we hit the roads back to Madison. The ride back wasn't quite as easy; there's a gradual climb all the way from New Glarus to Madison, so we were essentially riding uphill for several hours.

Making matters worse, it decided to rain quite heavily just outside of Fitchburg, which meant I rode in a driving rain for about 45-minutes until I got home. The rain sort of felt good after not being able to shower for three days. :-)

I got home, unpacked everything, washed/cleaned the gear, and then took two showers. One to remove the layers of sunscreen, bug spray, campfire smoke, sweat, and general funk, and then one as an insurance policy that I was truly clean.

Despite the sloped and noisy campsite and the rain (all weather sources proudly predicted a "gorgeous weekend" - ugh), it was a great experience and a fun trip. I'm glad I did it, and am looking forward to more bicycle camping trips in the future.

photo 3.JPG

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Steve published on August 3, 2014 10:50 PM.

Clean as a whistle was the previous entry in this blog.

Rubbing elbows and running sound is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Monthly Archives